Prayer Is the Soul's Sincere Desire
Hymn lyrics and .mp3 Download
1. Prayer is the soul's sincere desire, unuttered or expressed, the motion of a hidden fire that trembles in the breast.
2. Prayer is the burden of a sigh, the falling of a tear, the upward glancing of an eye, when none but God is near.
3. Prayer is the simplest form of speech that infant lips can try; prayer the sublimest strains that reach the Majesty on high.
4. Prayer is the contrite sinners' voice, returning from their way, while angels in their songs rejoice and cry, "Behold, they pray!"
5. Prayer is the Christians' vital breath, the Christians' native air; their watchword at the gates of death; they enter heaven with prayer.
6. O Thou, by whom we come to God, the Life, the Truth, the Way: the path of prayer thyself hast trod; Lord, teach us how to pray!
Words by: James Montgomery
Music by: USA campmeeting melody;
harm. by Robert G. McCutchan
Thank you for visiting our traditional hymns web site.
Our desire is that you will grow closer to the Lord by singing and worshiping with these traditional hymns.
There are many traditional hymns in the public domain so you can download and enjoy as you like.
Let's praise the Lord together!