Ah, Holy Jesus
Hymn lyrics and .mp3 Download
1. Ah, holy Jesus, how hast thou offended, that we to judge thee have in hate pretended? By foes derided, by thine own rejected, O most afflicted!
2. Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon thee? Alas, my treason, Jesus, hath undone thee! 'Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied thee; I crucified thee.
3. Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered; the slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered. For death of anguish and thy bitter passion, for my salvation.
4. For me, kind Jesus, was thy incarnation, thy mortal sorrow, and thy life's oblation; thy death of anguish and thy bitter passion, for my salvation.
5. Therefore, kind Jesus, since I cannot pay thee, I do adore thee, and will ever pray thee, think on thy pity and thy love unswerving, not my deserving.
Words by: Johann Heermann;
trans. by Robert S. Bridges
Music by: Johann Cruger
Ah, Holy Jesus is a German hymn for Passiontide, written in 1630, and first published in Devoti Musica Cordis. The English translation was written by Robert Bridges in 1897.
Thank you for visiting our traditional hymns web site.
Our desire is that you will grow closer to the Lord by singing and worshiping with these traditional hymns.
There are many traditional hymns in the public domain so you can download and enjoy as you like.
Let's praise the Lord together!